Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Day one. Fat bike cross nj

     Today I started my journey from Hackensack onward. I ate some really good bagels in the morning and set out on a mission for new Brunswick or bust!  It was foggy in the morning and chilly. I was a bit nervous about crossing Newark but it honestly wasn't so bad. The bike paths are well marked and street quality was good.
Before you know it, I was past Newark and Elizabeth and riding on some very nice bike paths and parks weaving through new jerseys suburbs. I soon met and followed the rahway river to where it meets the Raritan river entering new Brunswick. The hotels there were all either overpriced or crime/bedbug infested so I pushed onward up the finally approached d&r canal towpath. I rode until about  6 pm where I found an econolodge branch from travelocity for only 65 dollars. I was so thankful to see my first night destination because it was really dark by the time I got to the motel.
I had an excellent dinner at a pub called Freddy's in piskataway and took a cab to and from the motel.  Tomorrow breakfast is included in the morning and I hope to get leaving by 930, 10am. I feel so good about this trip knowing that the urban portion of the ride is behind me now.
Tomorrow looks forward to mild temperatures and a sweet dirt path ride that's chock full of new jersey history. I really would like to do the ride again in the spring and take it all the way to Philly. So far so good!

No comments: